Other Structures Coverage in Home Insurance

Updated on
Find Affordable Homeowners Insurance Deals:

Other structures coverage should be included in your homeowners policy by default. Shop around and get the cheapest insurance company in your area.

Homeowners insurance is an essential aspect of owning a property. It not only protects your home and personal property but also offers coverage for other structures on your premises.

When purchasing homeowners’ insurance, it is crucial to understand the different types of coverage available, including Other Structures Coverage (Coverage B). Other Structures Coverage in homeowners’ insurance includes coverage for structures that are detached and not attached to the main dwelling.

Such structures may include a detached garage, gazebo, mailbox, shop, carport, outdoor sauna or fence/retaining wall. The coverage allows you to protect these additional structures from damage due to covered perils like fire, theft or vandalism.

In most cases, Other Structures Coverage is included in a standard homeowner’s insurance policy and is typically calculated as a percentage of the overall dwelling coverage limit (Coverage A). The exact percentage can vary depending on the insurer and policy type but typically ranges between 10-20% of the overall Coverage A limit.

What Is Other Structures Coverage?

Homeowners insurance is a crucial aspect of protecting your home and personal property from unforeseen perils. One component of homeowners insurance coverage is Other Structures Coverage, which provides coverage for structures that are not attached to the main dwelling, such as a detached garage or gazebo. This means if any damage occurs to these structures due to covered perils, you can file a claim and receive funds to repair or replace them.

However, it’s essential to understand what is considered an “other structure” under Coverage B. Many people assume that anything outside the main dwelling qualifies as “other structures.” Still, there are specific criteria that must be met for a structure to be included under this coverage. Typically, Coverage B includes structures that are not physically attached to your home and serve a purpose other than living space.

For instance, carports, fences, retaining walls, mailboxes, outdoor saunas or hot tubs, and shops would all be classified as other structures under Coverage B. However, it’s important to note that not every outdoor structure will qualify for Other Structures Coverage.

For example, if you have an outdoor kitchen or patio area with seating but no walls or roof over it, it may not be eligible for this coverage because it doesn’t meet the definition of “structure.” Additionally, anything considered part of the main dwelling will likely fall under another coverage type in your homeowners policy since they are not considered “other” structures. Understanding these distinctions can help ensure you have adequate coverage in case of damage or loss.

Examples of Other Structures

Other Structures Coverage is a crucial component of Homeowners Insurance. It provides coverage for structures on your property that are not attached to your home, such as a detached garage, fences, and retaining walls. The following are some examples of other structures that homeowners can protect with this coverage.

A carport is a popular example of an Other Structure that can be covered under Homeowners Insurance. A carport is typically an open-air structure used to park cars or other vehicles.

It’s generally made up of a roof supported by posts or columns and doesn’t have walls or doors like a garage. With Other Structures Coverage, you can protect your carport from damage due to covered perils like wind, hail, and fire.

Another example of a structure covered under Other Structures Coverage is a gazebo. A gazebo is an outdoor structure that provides shade and shelter while adding beauty to your yard.

Gazebos come in various shapes and sizes and can be made of wood or metal materials. With Coverage B in place, any damage caused to the gazebo due to covered perils such as lightning strikes, windstorms, or vandalism will be taken care of by the insurance company.

In addition to these examples, Other Structures Coverage also includes structures like detached garages, sheds, outdoor saunas or steam rooms that are separate from the dwelling unit on the same property line; mailboxes; different types of sheds may also qualify for coverage depending on their use (e.g., garden shed vs workshop). Retaining walls may also qualify for this type of protection if they’re not part of the primary foundation system supporting the dwelling itself but do provide support for adjoining land areas where landscaping has been changed over time (e.g., steep slopes have been flattened out).

What’s Considered a Part of the Dwelling vs Other Structures?

When it comes to homeowners insurance, it’s important to understand what’s considered a part of the dwelling and what’s classified as other structures. The dwelling refers to the main house itself, which is typically the largest and most valuable structure on the property. Other structures, on the other hand, refer to any additional buildings or features that are located on your property but are not attached to your primary dwelling.

Some examples of other structures that may be covered under your homeowners insurance policy include a fence, a retaining wall, an outdoor sauna, a gazebo or pergola, a detached garage or shed, and even a mailbox. It’s important to note that not all homeowners insurance policies will cover all types of other structures automatically – often you’ll need to purchase additional Coverage B coverage in order to ensure that these features are protected in case they’re damaged or destroyed.

In general, if a structure is attached directly to your primary dwelling – such as an enclosed carport or shop space – it will usually be considered part of the main house and therefore fall under your regular homeowner’s policy Coverage A limits. However, if you have any standalone buildings or features on your property that aren’t directly connected to your main home – such as an unattached garage or outdoor storage shed – then these will likely be classified as “other structures” under Coverage B.

Other Structures Coverage in Condo and Rental Property Insurance

Other Structures coverage is also available for condo and rental property owners. In the case of condos, the condo association’s master policy typically covers the building’s exterior and common areas.

Other Structures insurance can cover any structures not included in the master policy, such as a carport or outdoor sauna that belongs to the individual unit owner. For rental properties, Other Structures coverage is essential if there are structures on the property that are not part of the dwelling but still belong to the landlord.

This can include fences, mailboxes, retaining walls, shops, gazebos or detached garages. Without this coverage these structures would not be protected under a standard homeowners policy.

It should be noted that if you rent out your primary home occasionally – for example through Airbnb – you will need other insurance products like short-term rental insurance to cover any liability or damage resulting from your guests’ stay since personal homeowners policies typically exclude commercial activities. It is important to review each policy carefully because some may limit Other Structures coverage in rental properties or include exclusions for certain types of structures like sheds or workshops.

Additionally, similar to Homeowners policies, there may be limitations on coverage amount depending on what type of structure it is (for example: most policies won’t pay more than $5000 for a gazebo). Make sure you understand what kind of protection each structure has under your specific policy and consider adding additional endorsements if needed.

What Perils Are Covered by Other Structures Coverage?

Other Structures Coverage is an essential aspect of homeowners insurance. It provides coverage for structures on your property that are not attached to your primary dwelling. Many perils can impact these structures, and it’s crucial to know the types of hazards that are covered under Other Structures Coverage.

Most standard homeowners’ policies cover the same perils under both Dwelling Coverage A and Other Structures Coverage B, including damage caused by fire, lightning, windstorm or hail, explosion, vandalism or malicious mischief, theft or attempted theft, damage from vehicles and aircrafts. However, there are some specific situations in which Other Structures Coverage may provide more extensive coverage than provided in Coverage A. For instance, fences and retaining walls may be covered only under Other Structures coverage if they are not considered part of the primary structure.

It’s important to note that some policies exclude certain hazards under Other Structures Coverage. For example, damage caused by flooding is typically excluded from standard homeowners’ policies but can be added as a separate policy if you live in a flood-prone area.

Similarly, earthquake damage is typically excluded but can usually be added as an endorsement for an additional premium cost. Thus it’s important always to check with your insurance agent to ensure you have adequate coverage for all potential perils and exclusions concerning other structures on your property such as carports or detached garages which might require additional protection beyond what is offered by standard homeowners insurance policies.

Limits of Other Structures Coverage

The limits of Other Structures Coverage vary depending on the policy. Generally, the coverage limit ranges from 10% to 20% of your home’s coverage limit.

For example, if your home is insured for $300,000, then your Other Structures Coverage limit could be between $30,000 and $60,000. Before purchasing a policy, it’s important to ensure that the coverage limits are adequate to cover all your outdoor structures and their contents.

It’s also essential to note that not all outdoor structures are covered under Other Structures Coverage. If you have structures like an outdoor sauna or hot tub that are permanently installed but not attached to your dwelling unit, they may not be covered under the standard policy.

Similarly, non-permanent structures like gazebos or canopies may not be covered if they’re intended for temporary use only. Also keep in mind that any structure attached to your dwelling unit is generally considered part of the dwelling and will be covered under Coverage A instead of Other Structures Coverage.

Some other factors affecting limits include detached garages or carports which have higher odds of damage from hailstorms and falling tree limbs than an interior room in a house. In addition to these buildings costing more money because they aren’t attached by default when constructed during building phases mean you’ll need more materials (like bricks), more time which can cause costs associated with increasing labor hours spent putting it together skyrocket up as well!

There are items like fences or retaining walls with separate premiums known as Coverage B which provide additional protection for those specific items against damage caused by natural disasters such as heavy rain leading to landslides etc. Understanding the limits of Other Structures Coverage is crucial when shopping for homeowners insurance.

The standard coverage typically offers between 10% and 20% of the dwelling’s insurance limit for outdoor structures such as detached garages and fences but other unique structures may require additional riders or even different types of polices to ensure adequate coverage. It’s important to consult closely with your insurance provider to ensure your policy covers all the outdoor structures you have in your property.

What Is Not Covered Under Other Structures Insurance: Typical Exclusions

While Other Structures coverage can provide homeowners with peace of mind knowing that their properties and belongings are protected, there are certain things that it does not cover. These exclusions are important to keep in mind when considering how much coverage you need. One common exclusion from Other Structures coverage is Coverage B for detached structures that are used for business purposes.

If you run a home-based business out of a separate structure on your property, such as a shop or garage, you will likely need to purchase a separate policy or add-on to your existing policy to cover the structure and its contents. Additionally, structures like fences and retaining walls are typically excluded from Other Structures coverage as they are considered part of the property’s landscaping rather than standalone structures.

Another exclusion is for structures that aren’t permanently attached to the ground. This includes items like outdoor saunas and gazebos, which may be damaged or destroyed in extreme weather conditions but fall under the category of personal property rather than permanent fixtures.

Carports and detached garages may be excluded if they aren’t specifically listed on your policy. If you have any doubt about what’s covered under your Other Structures insurance, it’s always best to review your policy with an insurance agent who can help clear up any confusion and ensure you have adequate protection for everything on your property.

How Much Other Structures Coverage Do You Need?

When determining how much Other Structures Coverage you need, it is important to take an inventory of any structures on your property that are not considered part of your dwelling. This can include buildings such as a detached garage or carport, as well as smaller structures like a fence or mailbox. Depending on the value and number of these structures, you may need to increase your Coverage B limit to ensure that you are adequately protected.

Another consideration when calculating your Other Structures Coverage is the cost of replacing or repairing any damaged structures. This will depend on factors such as the age and condition of the structure, as well as any specialized materials or features it may have.

For example, if you have an outdoor sauna or gazebo on your property, these structures may require more expensive materials and labor to repair or replace than something like a retaining wall or simple shed. It’s important to take all of these factors into account when determining how much coverage you need for other structures on your property.

How to Calculate Other Structures Coverage?

When calculating Other Structures coverage, it’s important to first identify all of the other structures on your property that need coverage. This includes any structures that are not attached to your home, such as a detached garage, carport, shop, gazebo, fence or retaining wall. Even smaller structures like a mailbox or outdoor sauna may also be covered under this type of policy.

The next step is to determine the replacement cost value of each structure. Replacement cost value (RCV) refers to the cost of rebuilding or repairing a structure with similar materials and quality in today’s market.

It’s important to note that RCV is not the same as actual cash value (ACV), which takes into account depreciation and may result in a lower payout in the event of a claim. To calculate RCV for each structure, consider factors such as its age, size, materials used, and any special features or upgrades.

It may be helpful to consult with a contractor or appraiser to get an accurate estimate. Once you have determined the RCV for each structure on your property, you can add up the values and select an appropriate coverage limit for Coverage B on your homeowners insurance policy.

Most policies automatically provide Coverage B at 10% of your dwelling coverage limit but this amount can be increased if necessary based on your specific situation and needs. Keep in mind that if you have multiple other structures or high-value structures like a detached garage or shop with expensive equipment inside, you may need additional insurance coverage beyond what is provided by standard homeowners policies.

Factors Influencing Other Structures Coverage Limits

Several factors influence the amount of Other Structures coverage needed to adequately protect your property.

The most important one is the value of the other structures on your property. This includes any detached buildings such as garages, sheds, shops, and carports.

It also includes landscaping features such as retaining walls and fences, outdoor recreational amenities like gazebos and outdoor saunas, and even your mailbox. The total amount of these other structures should be considered when calculating how much Other Structures coverage you need.

Another factor that can influence Other Structures coverage limits is the risk of damage to these structures. For example, if you live in an area with a high risk of severe weather or natural disasters like hurricanes or earthquakes, you may need to increase your Other Structures coverage limit to ensure that you are fully protected in case any damage occurs.

Additionally, if you have expensive or high-value items stored in any of these other structures (such as expensive tools or vehicles), it may be wise to increase your Coverage B limit to properly account for their worth. Ultimately, determining appropriate limits for Other Structures Coverage will depend on several individual circumstances specific to each homeowner’s property and needs.

Cost of Other Structures Coverage

The cost of Other Structures Coverage in your homeowners insurance policy will vary depending on several factors, such as the value of the structures you want to cover, their type, location, and more. It’s important to note that while adding this coverage may increase your premium slightly, it can save you a lot of money in the long run if any of your other structures are damaged or destroyed.

One way to estimate how much Other Structures Coverage you need is by hiring an appraiser or contractor to assess the value of each structure you want covered. The cost for this service can vary depending on where you live and the size and complexity of your structures, but it typically ranges from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars.

Another factor that can affect the cost of this coverage is whether you’re insuring any high-value items like a detached garage or outdoor sauna. These types of structures require more protection and may affect your premium.

In addition to getting professional assessments done for each structure, it’s also important to shop around for insurance providers that offer competitive rates for Other Structures Coverage. Some providers may have lower rates but provide less coverage than others, so be sure to compare policies side-by-side before making your final decision.

You should also consider adding Coverage B – Other Structures Coverage – which typically covers up to 10% – 20% of your dwelling limit in case any other structures like fences or mailboxes are damaged or destroyed due to covered perils like fire or theft. Ultimately, investing in adequate Other Structures Coverage can help give you peace of mind knowing that all parts of your property are protected against unexpected damages or losses.

Actual Cash Value vs Replacement Cost Value for Other Structures

When selecting an insurance policy for their home, many homeowners have the option to choose between actual cash value (ACV) and replacement cost value (RCV) for their Other Structures Coverage. Both types of coverage offer protection against physical damage or loss to the structures on the property that are not considered a part of the main dwelling.

However, there are some important differences between ACV and RCV regarding how they should be used in different scenarios. Actual cash value is calculated based on the current market value of a structure at the time it is damaged or destroyed.

This means that depreciation will be factored into any payout made by the insurance company. For example, if a detached garage was built 20 years ago and has since deteriorated due to age and wear and tear, then it may not be worth as much as it was when it was first constructed.

If this garage were to be damaged in a storm, an ACV policy would only pay out what it is currently worth – less any deductible – which may not be enough to fully cover the cost of repairs or replacement. On the other hand, replacement cost value coverage will typically provide more comprehensive protection when structures on your property are damaged or destroyed.

This type of policy pays out enough money to cover rebuilding or repairing your structure up to its original condition without factoring in depreciation. For example, if a gazebo worth $10k was damaged in a storm under an RCV policy, you would likely receive up to $10k (minus your deductible) towards repairing or rebuilding that gazebo – regardless of how old it was at the time of destruction.

It’s important for homeowners with detached structures such as sheds, fences, mailboxes, carports or outdoor saunas on their property to carefully evaluate which type of coverage best suits their needs based on factors such as age and condition of those structures – along with how much they’d have available from other sources if they need to cover costs beyond what their insurance policy will pay. While RCV coverage can be more expensive than ACV, it may offer the peace of mind and financial protection that homeowners need in case of a disaster.

Frequently Asked Questions About Other Structures Coverage

What other structures are typically covered under Other Structures Coverage?

Other Structures Coverage typically includes coverage for structures that are separate from the main dwelling, such as a detached garage, shed, fence, driveway gate, mailbox, gazebo, outdoor sauna, retaining wall, shop or carport. However, it’s important to note that not all policies cover the same structures and each policy may have different limits and exclusions for Other Structures Coverage.

Is there a limit to how much coverage I can get for my Other Structures?

Yes. Homeowners insurance policies generally have a maximum limit on how much they will pay out for damage or loss to your Other Structures. This limit is usually set as a percentage of your overall dwelling coverage (also known as Coverage A). For example – if you have $300k in coverage A and your policy has an outhouse or separate water pump that is insured under “Coverage B” with a 10% limit of $30k – then you would have up to $30k to cover damages or losses to those structures.

It’s important to review your policy regularly and adjust your coverage limits based on changes in value or new additions like adding an outdoor sauna or shop. If you have questions about which structures are covered under your policy or how much coverage you need for them specifically – reach out directly to your insurance agent who can guide you through this process and help ensure that you’re adequately protected.


Other Structures Coverage is an important part of homeowners insurance that helps protect your property from unexpected damages and losses. It provides coverage for structures on your property that are not attached to your home, such as a detached garage, fence, or gazebo.

By having this coverage in place, you can rest assured knowing that these structures are protected in the event of a covered peril. When determining how much Other Structures Coverage you need, it’s important to consider factors such as the value and type of structures on your property.

You should also take into account any exclusions or limitations in your policy. In general, it’s recommended that you have enough coverage to rebuild any damaged or destroyed structures up to their full replacement cost value.

While no one wants to think about their outdoor sauna or shop being damaged by a covered peril, having Other Structures Coverage can provide peace of mind and financial protection. It’s important to review your policy regularly with an insurance professional to ensure that you have adequate coverage based on your specific needs and circumstances.

Overall, while Other Structures Coverage may seem like an afterthought when purchasing homeowners insurance, it can be crucial in protecting the physical structures on your property. Whether it’s a mailbox or retaining wall, having this type of coverage gives homeowners peace of mind knowing they’re protected from unexpected losses and rebuilding costs when catastrophe strikes.

Find Affordable Homeowners Insurance Deals:

Other structures coverage should be included in your homeowners policy by default. Shop around and get the cheapest insurance company in your area.

Leave a Comment